Boston is a beautiful market town characterized as a cross between a rural and urban area. It is depicted as such for its beautiful sceneries as well as its improved and modernized centers.
For those who yearn for a quiet visit to a place where one can learn, enjoy and be mesmerized, the original Boston is one of the best on any list one can make. It is a town complete with amenities but is very proud of its rustic appeal to both the locals and visitors.
Thus, a small guide for some of its best sites is a must to inform every one of some of the hidden beauties which must never be missed.
The first on the list is “The Stump” for it is something which someone will never ever miss when coming to Boston.
Formally known as Saint Botolph’s Parochial Church of Boston, the Stump is nicknamed as such or as “Boston Stump” for quite a historic and sociological reason. It is a parish church in the town of Boston in the district of The Borough of Boston.
According to history, it is one of the largest parish churches in the whole of England, as well as having one of the tallest medieval towers in the whole of England. Pevsner even commented that it is a “giant among English Parish Churches”.
Having a lot being said about it, the Stump is definitely a place of great history and significance. According to history, it was built over a small Norman church made of wood and stone. The building of the Stump begun in 1309 and was completed in 1390, with the exception of the tower. The span of time it was built was less than 150 years, much to the people’s awe. This short time is due to the prosperity of the city at that time. Thus, we can say that the size and the church itself showcase Boston’s immeasurable glory at that time.
The church not only signifies the importance of the Eucharist, but, it also serves as a marker for travelers and sailors, as it can be seen from miles away.
Moreover, another important part of the church is its library situated above a porch (so as to save the books from floods). It was built on one part of the church on the year 1634. It contains a collection of precious and religious ancient manuscripts and volumes of books, which are open for visitors.
This library is considered as one of the ten biggest libraries in the whole of England.
Furthermore, St. Botolph’s church has a shop, which offers tea or coffee to go along with some home-made pastries. There are also several items on sale at the shop such as towels, thimbles, mugs, pens, bookmarks, and many other souvenirs, which depicts some kind of relation to the church.
This is one of the church’s ways to raise funds for the maintenance of such a massive and magnificent medieval structure. Needless to say, the proceeds will go to the church’s funds for repairs and such.
Several stories, myths, and legends have been spreading about the place due to sightings from both the locals and visitors. According to legends and myths, St. Botolph drove away the devil through prayers, and as the latter can’t take it he huffed and puffed, resulting to the strong gushes of wind on the tower. Another set of stories due to sightings have been made. These stories involve ghosts jumping off the tower to their demise. Due to their violent deaths, they are doomed to forever suffer jumping off the tower to reminisce their deaths.
Mr. Ingram’s Statue
Though it is not directly inside the church, the statue that can be found just outside St. Botolph’s Parochial Church of Boston, in the heart of the market place of the said town, is another attraction that must be visited. It is the statue of a gentleman that comes by the name of Mr. Herbert Ingram.
Mr. Herbert Ingram was considered as the father of pictorial journalism. He was the founder of Illustrated London News and was a famous politician from the Liberal party.
After his death in an accident, which involves quite a story involving the bird of ill omen, a statue was sculpted by Alexander Munro in his honor in 1811. It is a white Italian marble stone with quite magnificent and detailed features, showing the gentleman with his famous work.
Also, on the lower part of the statue is a bronze woman holding a jar, depicting Mr. Ingram’s efforts to bring the first piped water to the town of Boston.
Boston Guildhall Museum
The Boston Guildhall is a magnificent medieval building, which was recorded to be built around the year 1390. It was founded by the St. Mary Guild, the richest and most prominent guild in all of Boston, comprised by most of the town’s merchants and wealthy people.
The Guildhall has a few amenities, including a museum, which became the home to the town’s most significant museum collection. It is also known as a place where stories and secrets are kept and shared to anyone who would be willing to listen.
Due to the buildings old origins, some of its part fell to ruins and were refurbished through the government’s funds. It was then reopened in 2008.
The museum contains a lot of artifacts and paintings, as well as many other things befitting to be placed on a historically-significant place.
Maud Foster Mill
Another tall building on our list of best sites in the town of Boston is the Maud Foster Mill. It is a seven-story windmill with five sails located by the banks of the Maud Foster Drain, which is somehow where it originated its name.
According to history, the windmill was erected for Thomas and Kaac Reckitt on the year 1819 for the purpose if grinding corn through wind powered devices. It changed owners several times and became a landmark after it was left unattended on 1953. In 1987, it was bought by James Waterfield.
As of the present, it is one of the most-frequented visitors attraction, where visitors can climb all seven floor and witness the traditional way of making and grinding flour through wind powered by the mill.
Some parts of the mill have become a holiday accommodation, with a maximum of 2 adults sharing one room. Another part became the shop where the owner makes a living by selling organic flour, porridge, souvenirs, and a few local history books. A free car park is also available for visitors to use.
The Maud Foster Windmill is considered to be the largest operating windmill in England.
Situated next to the Boston Guildhall, the Fyddel House was built on 1720 as a Georgian self-funding house by a certain Samuel Jackson. It was then bought by a certain Joseph Fyddel and changed hands since then.
It is known as the grandest house in town, not only characterized by its appearance but also of the several activities that occur there. It is the best place for conferences and weddings as the venue is quite appropriate and big enough for the occasion.
The house not only boasts of its occasions but also of its few other parts such as its café, garden, and secondhand bookstore. In fact, one can just take the coffee from the café and read some nice books in the bookstore.
The Bubble Car Museum
Bubble cars are small economical microcars invented in the middle of the 20th century, which are not only efficient but certain fuel-savers.
50 of these cute little things exist and are displayed in The Bubble Car Museum,where one can try to ride it with friends and family members.
The museum not only displays microcars and let others use them. They also have a few amenities such as some recreated shops, memorabilia, a giftshop, and a café.
RSPB Trampton Marsh Nature Reserve
The RSPB Trampton Marsh Nature Reserve is a nature reserve situated in the coast of The Wash. It is a coastal wetland reserve with new and modern habitats for certain wildlife, be they common or rare.
The reserve also boasts of its modern and complete amenities for visitor’s need and convenience. Snacks are also available for sale for those who want to eat while watching some birds or other animals.