Lincoln is commonly known as the county town of the whole of Lincolnshire. Being such, it is already predicted, as being the center, to be completely urbanized, which is in fact true.
Many people from nearby district go to Lincoln to find jobs that will not only be appropriate for them but also will satisfy them and their families. Some go due to quality education which can be gained from the Lincoln University and from the Bishop Grosseteste University, both of which can be found in the city.
However, many may agree that it has completely succumbed to the advancement of technology and to the modernization of the world; there is no denying that it is one place which certainly took care and preserved most of its heritage sites, even to the point of improving them. Reasons for this may be for nationalism, love of country and own history, and pride of their own past.
One example of these heritage sites is the historic walking area known as the Steep Hill, a popular tourist street. Its name was derived from the gradient of the hill, which is somewhat difficult to ascend but good enough to descend. It has been awarded by the Academy of Urbanism the prize of “Britain’s Best Place” in 2011.
Steep Hill comprises of the top, being the entrance to the Lincoln Cathedral, and the bottom, which is Well Lane. It also comprises part of the Roman route. This steep of a hill is not suitable for vehicles, thus, it is more appropriate to go on foot with the help of the handrail strategically place there.
Visitors regard the place’s stunning view, which can be seen above the cobble streets of Lincoln. Moreover, the hill is also composed of several independent shops, such as tea houses and pubs, which are great for relaxation as a break from the “steep” climb.
Other architecture found along the way includes the famous Jew’s House, Norman House, and Jew’s Court.
The Jew’s House, also known as “Aaron the Jew’s House”, is one of the few remaining old architecture which forms a part of Steep Hill. It is one of the earliest extant town houses in England.
Moreover, as seen in the name, it has quite an influence for it is associated with the Medieval Jewish Community who settled on the county town.
Moreover, another of its significance comes from the fact that it is written in history for it is associated with the chaos which happened at the death of Little Saint Hugh of Lincoln.
As of the present, the house is use for commercial purposes, which can be seen in the existence of a restaurant on one part of the house.
The Norman House is another historic building considered as one of the examples of Norman domestic architecture. Its features indicate that the architecture is from the years 1170-1180.
It is once thought to be Aaron the Jew’s House, which was proved to be wrong.
As of the present, the Norman House is used as a commercial site, similar to the Jew’s House, particularly a tea shop.
The Jew’s Court is the third historic building, which can be found on the Steep Hill. It is the Norman building above the Jew’s House and is dated from 1150-1180.
The Jew’s Court is actually considered to be the oldest synagogue in the British Isles, as well as the only medieval synagogue in the county. The said synagogue dates from 1290 and is listed as a Grade I building.
Jews still holds regular Shabbat at the court while part of it is used as a bookshop.
A natural lake and a port by the time of the Romans, Brayford Pool has been connected to the River Trent through the creation of what we call the Foss Dyke, the oldest canal in England.
As modernization and urbanization came in, its main focus became Brayford Pool where establishments and buildings line up the edge of the canal. There is also a marina of houseboats as well as of anglers and kayakers.
The pool is famous for the large population of mute swans which comes to the area.
One specific feature of Brayford Pool is the existence of an island in the middle of it. This island is man-made and comprises only of one single willow tree.
It is known as the “Swan Island” due to the fact that many swans use it as a site for nesting.
Museum of Lincolnshire Life
Occupying a former listed barrack, the Museum of Lincolnshire Life is the largest nand most diverse community museum in the county.
It houses a collection comprising one of the first tanks developed during the World War I named “Flirt II, created by William Foster and Co., some recreation of shops and houses, and several farming machineries, among many others.
Lincoln Drill Hall
The Lincoln Drill Hall is a refurbished modernized entertainment venue with an auditorium of 500 people capacity.
History suggests that the Hall was built as a Volunteer Drill Hall which opened in the year 1890. It was used as a hall for military and police training. On the year 1999, the hall closed. Due to public demand, it was refurbished and reopened after the improvement.
The Drill Hall is a first-choice venue for events such as jams of up and coming bands, theatres, talks, and many others. There is also a café in the hall, with a few sitting areas inside.
Lincoln Medieval Bishop’s Palace
Known as the grandest residential structure in England, the Lincoln Medieval Bishop’s Palace is a historical visitor’s attraction dating back from the 12th century. It was completed on the year 1230.
Its location is quite of the road, with it being in between the Cathedral and the Castle. However, it is quite significant for it is one of the most important buildings in the country, as well as it provides a very beautiful view across the city.
As of the present, the palace has been abandoned and has fallen to ruins. The only surviving feature of it is the undercroft East Hall.
On the other hand, though this may be the case, it is quite fortunate that it is under the maintenance of the English Heritage.
The Ellis Windmill is a small and beautiful mill tower completed in 1798 and is located on Mill Road. It is famous for being the sole survivor out of the nine windmills that formerly faced the west side.
It was first owned by one Anthony Meres and passed unto several owners before coming to the possession of John Ellis, to whom ti was named after.
After that, it remained in his descendants’ possessions but was destroyed by fire. It was reconstructed by the Lincoln Civic Trust and is owned by the council.
As of the present, the same with the Maud Foster Mill, it produces flour for selling.
Sincil Bank, currently known as Gerder Group Sincil Bank Stadium, is a football stadium famous for being the home of the team Lincoln City. It was built in 1895, with the full capacity of 10,120 people. Most people fondly refer to it as “The Bank”.
The Bank was formerly visited by the queen herself, Queen Elizabeth II. It was also a venue for several concerts and other sports events, such as the Westlife and boxing, respectively.
The unique location of the city centre is good for being booked as a venue for functions, weddings, meetings, and many other which requires a comfortable and nice space.